27 February 2012

Sweet Potato, Spinach & Lentil Dahl

I stumbled across this recipe yesterday, just as I was thinking "oh man, I've got a bag of baby spinach in the fridge that needs using ASAP, and a kumara (sweet potato) that I've been meaning to make chips out of"... combine this with the lentils I bought for another recipe I'm going to try soon, and this recipe is a winner! :)  


It was super quick and easy to make too.  I made double the original recipe so that it would serve 4, and ate it with rice for a nice, wholesome dinner which happened to coincide with Meatless Monday!  What I've written below is the double recipe - just halve it if you want enough for two :)

INGREDIENTS
200g lentils
900mL vegetable stock (although I used chicken because we'd run out)
2 onions, finely diced
4 tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp powdered chilli
1 large sweet potato, cut into chunks
2 handfuls baby spinach, rinsed & shredded
baby peas

rice, to serve with

METHOD
  • Put all the ingredients except the sweet potato, peas and spinach in a pan
  • Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 mins 
  • Add the sweet potato and cook until tender (test with a fork if unsure), another 10-12 mins
  • Stir in the spinach and peas, and cook for a minute until wilted
  • Serve with rice
This was a good, warm dinner, very filling!    Will be perfect on a cold winter night, for those miserable nights where you get home, but can't be bothered defrosting meat and then thinking up something to do with it! :P  The kumara provided a lovely sweetness, and the peas gave a nice fresh contrast to the other flavours.  Yum! :)




Recipe Inspiration: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/96608/sweet-potato-spinach-and-lentil-dahl

No comments:

Post a Comment